Friday, January 6, 2017

#KiliTeam2017: Rebecca

Mount Kilimanjaro is the tallest mountain in Africa, and the world’s highest freestanding mountain, rising approximately 4,877 metres from its base to 5,895 metres (19, 340 ft) above sea level. It is also known as "Everyman's Everest" due to the fact that it is the most achievable of the "Seven Summits" (the highest points on each of the world's continents) and no technical climbing skills are required. Climbing Kilimanjaro is no easy feat, but with training, respect for the mountain, and knowledge of altitude, it is possible for many to summit this incredible peak.

Our next climber is Rebecca, who be be celebrating her 64th birthday during her Reach Beyond Expedition to Mount Kilimanjaro! Why is Rebecca climbing Kili? Let's let her tell us in her own words:


"I was a serious youngster, born and raised in Hong Kong.  In 1972 I decided to study accounting in university. I am an accountant who was never active nor sportive until my late middle age. So call me crazy (which would be accurate), or call me courageous (which would be accurate too)!  Yes I will be hiking to the top of Mt. Kilimanjaro in Tanzania in January 2017 with the Outward Bound Canada's expedition team.

Why am I taking this challenge and stepping outside of my comfort zone at this age? (I turn 64 while in Tanzania next January!) I like to use quotes because they express the feelings and thoughts so well."

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself." - George Bernard Shaw

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

 "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not loves. " - Henry David Thoreau

"This is important to me because I believe in living with courage. Courage is both the emotional and mental preparedness and the ability to deal with challenging and difficult circumstances. This skill can be developed. To live with courage does not mean we have no fear. Take the quote from the legendary John Wayne: 'Courage is being scared to death -- and saddling up anyway.' One more of my favourite quotes:"

"I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no "brief candle" for me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations." - George Bernard Shaw

To support Rebecca in her fundraising efforts, please visit her Canada Helps page.

No comments:

Post a Comment