Saturday, January 14, 2017

#KiliTeam2017: Cathy

Mount Kilimanjaro has been the subject of many scientific studies because of its shrinking glaciers. Ice cores taken from Kilimanjaro's Northern Ice Field indicate that Kilimanjaro's glaciers have a "basal age" of 11,700 years. The slope glaciers retreated rapidly between 1912 and 1953, in response to a sudden shift in climate at the end of the 19th century that made them "drastically out of equilibrium", and more slowly thereafter. Their continuing demise indicates they are still out of equilibrium in response to a constant change in climate over the last 100 years.

Our final climber to be profile, Cathy will be one of the few people who will have an opportunity to see Kilimanjaro's glaciers up close.



"I grew up in and around Montreal, and have lived in Toronto since 1978  when I attended U of T Law.

Professionally, I was an environmental, land use and energy lawyer for 15 years or so.  I left legal practice to become a member of the Ontario Energy Board where I have worked part time since about 2000.

Now that my three daughters are grown, I spend the rest of my time on a variety of other interests - on the theory that it's never too late to do new things, in my 40s I started playing the piano, and training for and competing in triathlons.  I particularly enjoy cycling in Prince Edward County in the summer.

Over the years I have been involved in a number of community organizations including a term as president of the Canadian Environmental Law Association.  I am currently a member of the Board of Governors of the ROM Foundation.

I have spent many nights in tents as I worked as a Girl Guide camp leader for several summers and a few years did a two week rafting trip in the Grand Canyon.  I have done little serious hiking and no climbing. I'm doing the Kili climb as I love African adventures, enjoy doing physical outdoor activities and am up for a new challenge as I turn 60."

Our #KiliTeam2017 leave for Africa tomorrow - safe travels! You can follow along on their adventures right here on our blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment