Monday, August 1, 2016

#NahanniTeam2016: Bob Foulkes

The history of the area began 550 million years ago beneath a tropical sea. Here a sedimentary layer of sandstone and limestone formed from the powerful pressure exerted by the sea. Eventually this sea dried up, forming a wide plain upon which the Nahanni River first took its course.

The Nahanni is unique amongst mountainous rivers. It formed long before the mountains ever existed, establishing a winding course typical of prairie rivers. As the mountains rose around it, the Nahanni maintained its course, cutting steep canyons into the land.

The next paddler joining the #NahanniTeam2016 is Bob Foulkes. Bob has been a cherished supporter of Outward Bound Canada for over 20 years, and we are beyond happy to have him joining us for this latest adventure to the Northwest Territories!


Here's what Bob has to say about his relationship with Outward Bound Canada and his decision to take on the Nahanni with us this year:

"My relationship with Outward Bound started in 1994. It had a profound effect on me and on my son.

I had heard about Outward Bound and encouraged my son, then 15 years old, to embark on a 17 day Outward Bound program in the Coast mountains of BC. He went off a boy and came back a young man, more confident, more capable, more assured. I saw his transformation and wanted to experience it myself. A year later, I had my own Outward Bound experience - an eight-day backpacking adventure in the Coast Mountains.

It changed the course of my life, opening the door to the outdoors and the joy of adventure.

In 2014, I joined Outward Bound’s Mount Kilimanjaro Expedition, celebrating my 65th year.

Bob and the 2014 Reach Beyond: Mount Kilimanjaro team


Over the past twenty years, I have run, cycled, swum, hiked and paddled through adventure after adventure; I trace all this insanity back to that first Outward Bound experience.

Nahanni is the next big one, my most exciting adventure ever!"

No comments:

Post a Comment