Saturday, February 27, 2016

#EBCTeam2016: Elena Kataluk

Mount Everest isn’t the first name the natural wonder was known by.

Until 1865 Everest was named Peak XV, at which time it was renamed in honour of the Surveyor General of India, George Everest.

Everest’s Nepalese name is Sagarmatha, meaning ‘Forehead (or Goddess) of the Sky.’ It’s Tibetan name is Chomolungma, meaning ‘Mother Goddess of the Universe.’


Our next Reach Beyond: Everest Base Camp climber is Elena Kataluk. Originally from Coral Harbour, NU, Elena is now living in Rankin Inlet, NU.  Elena took a course with Outward Bound Canada in 2008: an eight day canoeing expedition on Horton River, NT.

“It was one of the best experiences that I have ever had, there’s nothing quite like it.”

In March, 2016, Elena will be trekking to Mount Everest Base Camp with OBC.

“This will be a new challenge for me because I only hiked on hills before, and have never been to a mountain before, so, the biggest mountain on earth will be my first.

I love the outdoors; I grew up camping, hunting and fishing in the spring and summer.  There is nothing more beautiful than the nature that we have.  It has always been my biggest dream to go to Mount Everest.  I am looking forward to it and ready to take on the journey.

All thanks to Outward Bound, I have the opportunity to take on this challenge.  It is so unique because they take groups of people that have never met before to these amazing expeditions and it gives us a chance to grow and learn from each other.  Outward Bound offer programs to others that teaches leadership.

Help Outward Bound fundraise for these amazing expeditions so that people will have the opportunities like I have.”

You can support Elena’s fundraising for Outward Bound Canada’s Women of Courage program by visiting her personal fundraising page here.

No comments:

Post a Comment