Sunday, January 10, 2016

Kili Team 2016: Lenka Stafl (TRIP Leader)

Large animals are rare on Kilimanjaro, however that can be seen more frequently in the forests and lower parts of the mountain. For example, elephants and cape buffalos are sometimes seen, as are bushbucks, chameleons, dikdiks, duikers, mongooses, sunbirds, and warthogs have been reported as well. Zebras and hyenas have sporadically been observed on the Shira plateau. The chameleon (specifically the Kinyongia tavetana) is the animal most closely associated with the mountain.


Perhaps our next climber, Lenka Stafl, will see some of those chameleons on her trek! Read about her journey here:

"I fell in love with the mountains as a youth and haven’t stopped adventuring since. It is so satisfying for me to share the unique beauty of mountain landscapes with others and participate in the deeply personal journey’s that happen therein. In 2009, I began working as a mountain instructor for Outward Bound based out of Leadville in Colorado. I knew after Instructing my first course how powerful and important the work we can be. My passion for the work, people and places that make Outward Bound so unique continues to drive me. I am a member of the Association of Canadian Mountain Guides, and have taken numerous Wilderness Medicine and technical courses to hone my skills in alpine terrain. I have been fortunate enough to travel and work in amazing mountain ranges and regions of the world including Patagonia, the Tibetan Plateau, the Cascades and beyond. Before moving to Canmore, I worked on Rainier, guiding clients up the peak on a weekly basis."

For the past few years Lenka had worked as the Rocky Mountain Program Director for Outward Bound Canada, supporting, guiding and managing our courses. Lenka, having since moved on ino rder to attend medical school, made an effort to instruct a few programs a year to stay in touch with the meaning and impact of our organizational mission. Lenka was also part of the 2015 Mount Kilimanjaro team.

I am absolutely delighted to be joining the 2016 Kilimanjaro team. The generosity of spirit in the team and fundraising to create more opportunities for deserving Canadians to participate in life changing experiences makes this trip amazing! I look forward to the shared adventure, and meeting each unique personality and the Outward Bound journey that awaits in January 2016."

To support Lenka in her journey, please consider giving to her personal giving page here.

No comments:

Post a Comment