Thursday, December 17, 2015

Kili Team 2016: Hartland Pitfield

Wondering what it is like every day up on Kilimanjaro? Here is how one climber explained it: "The days are spent walking through spectacular landscapes which change every day as you pass through different vegetation zones; the pace is never exhausting, as you have to walk slowly in order to give yourself a chance to acclimatize... As night falls, you tuck into the huge plates of food and the stars come out and stun everyone into silence."


Hartland Pitfield will be one individual who gets to experience this scene first-hand, as part of Outward Bound Canada's 2016 Mt. Kilimanjaro Team. Here is what Hartland had to say about his trip: "Since I was eighteen and had the opportunity to do a course in Anakiwa, New Zealand, I have understood the value of Outward Bound. Simply put, the extraordinary physical, mental and emotional challenge that a three-week Outward Bound course entails teaches you an incredible amount about yourself and your ability to work and communicate with those around you. It lays a foundation of values that helps to guide you through the challenges that life can throw at you.

For these reasons, Outward Bound has been one of my most valued life experiences, and I would recommend it to anyone. The issue is: not everyone can afford it, and often the people who would benefit from it the most can afford it the least.

Alongside my dad, two of my sisters, and a team of other Canadians, I am setting out to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro as a fundraiser for Outward Bound's charitable programs. We are aiming to raise $50,000 so that we can provide the life-transforming experience of an Outward Bound course to those who need it the most.

This trip is going to be a challenging, bucket-list trip that will reinforce some of what I have already learned and teach me other things that I haven't. Climbing Kilimanjaro with three of my family members makes it that much more special for me, and with a personal fundraising goal of $4,000, I am hoping to provide similarly impactful experiences and opportunities to those who aren't able to afford them."

To support Hatland in his journey, please consider giving to his personal giving page here.

No comments:

Post a Comment