Thursday, January 8, 2015

Kili Team 2015: Sarah Wiley (Trip Leader)

Did you know: About 30,000 people climb Kilimanjaro each year and about three-quarters of those reach the summit. It is a relatively safe climb, and most climbers who fail to summit experience altitude-related issues or harsh weather near the peak. The climb can be done any time of year but the rainy winter season make the summer and early fall a popular time to climb.

Ensuring that each of our climbers reach the summit is our second trip leader, Outward Bound Canada's Executive Director Sarah Wiley.  Read about Sarah's journey here:


"I am currently the Executive Director of Outward Bound Canada, a position I have held since June 2010. I got my teaching degree and speciality in Outdoor and Experiential Education in 1989 and began working for Outward Bound Canada as an instructor in 1992. I left Outward Bound in 2004 and moved to Calgary where I worked as Director of Student Life at Strathcona-Tweedsmuir School and then moved to Vancouver Island where I was the Deputy Head of School – Operations at Shawnigan Lake School.  I have a Masters of Education and an MBA (I love learning). I have travelled extensively and have climbed mountains in South America, North America, & Africa. I have led five climbs up Mt. Kilimanjaro with all but one of the participants successfully summiting. 

My husband and I have a six year old son, Hugh, and a five year old dog named Charlie who both keep us quite busy! Though I work in Toronto at OBC’s head office, I am lucky to live in the country, about 90mins northwest of the city. I am really looking forward to spending ten days on the mountain with what seems to be a fabulous team and am grateful for the fundraising efforts to date. With the funds raised from this climb, we will be able to increase access to Outward Bound programs to those who will most benefit from them."

Good luck Sarah, we will be rooting for you and the team!

No comments:

Post a Comment