Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Kili Team 2015: Lenka Stafl (Trip Guide)

Did you know: There are three volcanic cones that make up Kilimanjaro: Kibo is the summit; Mawenzi at 16,893 feet (5,149 meters); and Shira at 13,000 feet (3,962 meters). Uhuru Peak is the highest summit on Kibo's crater rim. Uhuru, Swahili for "Freedom," was named in 1961 when Tanganyika gained its independence . Tanganyika later joined with the islands of Zanzibar to form Tanzania.

The first of our trip leaders to be profiled, Lenka Stafl, will be helping the team het to the highest of the peaks - Kibo.  Read more about Lenka's journey here:


"I fell in love with the mountains as a youth and haven’t stopped adventuring since. It is so satisfying for me to share the unique beauty of mountain landscapes with others and participate in the deeply personal journey’s that happen therein. In 2009, I began working as a mountain instructor for Outward Bound based out of Leadville in Colorado. I knew after Instructing my first course how powerful and important the work we can be. My passion for the work, people and places that make Outward Bound so unique continues to drive me. I am a member of the Association of Canadian Mountain Guides, and have taken numerous Wilderness Medicine and technical courses to hone my skills in alpine terrain. I have been fortunate enough to travel and work in amazing mountain ranges and regions of the world including Patagonia, the Tibetan Plateau, the Cascades and beyond. Before moving to Canmore, I worked on Rainier, guiding clients up the peak on a weekly basis. 

For the past few years I have worked at the Rocky Mountain region of Outward Bound Canada, supporting, guiding and managing our courses. I make an effort to instruct a few programs a year to stay in touch with the meaning and impact of our organizational mission."

We are sure it will be a challenging but life-changing experience thank to Lenka and Sarah and the team!

No comments:

Post a Comment