Friday, December 5, 2014

Kili Team 2015: Richenda Crawford

Did you know: Kilimanjaro is a giant stratovolcano that began forming a million years ago when lava spilled from the Rift Valley zone. The mountain was built by successive lava flows. Two of its three peaks—Mawenzi and Shira—are extinct while Kibo, the highest peak is dormant.

Unintimidated by Kilimanjaro's volcanic peaks, our next profiled climber is Richenda Crawford. Learn more about Richenda's journey here:




"20 years ago I was introduced to Outward Bound through an invitation to attend a focus group, which led to chairing the famous out of the box ‘In Town event’, joining the Board of Outward Bound Western Canada, and eventually becoming a very proud Alumna of the BC 21-day Adult Mountain Challenge in 2000.

While this was the most physically demanding venture of my life, it was also the most rewarding and left a lifelong impact. As I was on the Board at the time, I was looked upon by the two instructors as the most unlikely person in my patrol to accomplish this, and was probably only there to spy.  But I was strong mentally and completed the challenge, bare boobs and all, and still keep those memories close to my heart to get me through difficult times.

I continue to support Outward bound’s Women of Courage program, a cause I’m very committed to, as even within my own financial services practice I’ve too often witnessed the scars verbal abuse can leave, especially among women in their 70’s who are widowed or given no say in their financial matters, then left with no self-esteem to carry them forward.

While born with ballet slippers, I continue to challenge myself physically and mentally and keep plugging away one step at a time.  Sometimes a small step is all it takes. Whether that step takes you to the top of Mt. Kilimanjaro or toward a less adventurous pursuit, your choice is to keep moving, at your own pace.  Or do nothing at all. 

Over the years I’ve continued to cultivate a passion for many outdoor activities and have been fortunate to have travelled the globe.  Though happy to call Vancouver home, the draw to the unbeaten paths found in the less developed parts of the world have particularly captured my heart.

And in that spirit, I am proud to be part of the 2015 Kili climb with Outward Bound Canada.  Go team go!"

To support Richenda in her journey, please consider giving to her personal giving page here.

4 comments:

  1. your just keep giving your amazing..... never give up
    we love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be thinking of you this week and next. Enjoy the experience. Remember -

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mama you strong! You no feel about it. (Don't you worry about it)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you and know you will succeed. You are an amazing woman I am so happy to be able to call my friend!

    ReplyDelete