Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Kili Team 2015: Bill Elgie

Did you know: Kilimanjaro lies within the 756-square-kilometer Kilimanjaro National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and is one of the few places on earth that encompasses every ecological life zone including tropical jungle, savannah, and desert to montane forests, subalpine plants, and the alpine zone above timberline.

Our next profiled climber, Bill Elgie, is certainly looking forward to seeing the part and its sights. Learn more about Bill's journey here:


"Although I studied biochemistry at University, I have always known that I wanted to work in outdoor education.   From summer camp counselor to canoe tripper to field naturalist, I have always pursued jobs that helped me develop as an outdoor leader.   For me, working at Outward Bound was always my “dream job”.  From 1987 to 1993 (with some interruptions) I was lucky enough to work for Outward Bound as an instructor and course director here in Ontario and overseas in Australia, Wales and Scotland.  It’s been over 20 years since Leslie and I retired from OB to get “real jobs” and raise our 3 children, but in my mind, I am still an Outward Bound instructor.  

For the past 15 years I have worked for Upper Canada College as Director of their Outdoor Education Centre, “The Norval Outdoor School”, located on the Credit River near Georgetown, Ontario.  We live right on campus with a 450-acre forest as our back yard. It has been a great place to live and raise a family.  

This year my wife Leslie Hoyle and I are taking a deferred salary leave (sometimes called a 4 over 5) to try out new adventures and to revisit some of our old favourites.  We are avid canoeists, so many of our plans involve canoe trips, but we are open to all possibilities.  When Sarah told us there was the opportunity to join the Kilimanjaro 2015 expedition, we jumped at the chance to be part of such an awesome group, raise funds for valuable OB programs and to have the trip of a lifetime."

To support Bill in his journey, please consider giving to his personal giving page here.

No comments:

Post a Comment