Sunday, January 12, 2014

And The Journey Begins...

Today’s the day the hikers start their journey! They will be leaving Toronto’s Pearson International Airport and flying to Tanzania via Amsterdam.  Then, three days from now, once they get settled and prepped and after registering with the park authority at the Machame Park Gate, they’ll begin their climb through the lush forest at the base of Kilimanjaro. That first day of hiking they will start at an altitude of 5,942ft and climb for 6 hours to a height of 9,911 ft. They’ll hear many exotic birds and may see the black and while Colobus Monkeys as they make their way through the forest before spending their first night at the Machame Camp just above the forest zone. 

For our final climber profile we are featuring none other than the team’s fearless leader herself, Outward Bound Canada’s Executive Director Sarah Wiley.  Read more about Sarah Below and stay tuned for updates straight from the field beginning today!



“I am currently the Executive Director of Outward Bound Canada, a position I have held since June 2010. I got my teaching degree and speciality in Outdoor and Experiential Education in 1989 and began working for Outward Bound Canada as an instructor in 1992. I left Outward Bound in 2004 and moved to Calgary where I worked as Director of Student Life at Strathcona-Tweedsmuir School and then moved to Vancouver Island where I was the Deputy Head of School – Operations at Shawnigan Lake School.

I have a Masters of Education and an MBA, have travelled extensively and have climbed mountains in South America, North America, & Africa. I have led four previous climbs up Mt. Kilimanjaro with all but three of the 40+ climbers successfully summiting. 

My husband and I have a five year old son, Hugh, and a four year old dog named Charlie who both keep us quite busy! Though I work in Toronto at OBC’s head office, I am lucky to live in the country, about 90mins northwest of the city.  I am really looking forward to spending ten days on the mountain with what seems to be a fabulous team and am grateful for the fundraising efforts to date. With the funds raised from this climb, we will be able to increase access to Outward Bound programs to those who will most benefit from them.”


Please help Sarah and her fellow climbers reach their goal by making a donation to the 2013 Mt. Kilimanjaro Climb, clicking on the "Canada Helps" icon below:

https://www.canadahelps.org/dn/11057


1 comment:

  1. Good Luck to you and your amazing group Sarah.

    ReplyDelete