Friday, January 3, 2014

The Loftiest Spot in Africa and the German Empire

Kilimanjaro was first climbed on October 5, 1889 by German geologist Hans Meyer, Marangu scout Yoanas Kinyala Lauwo, and Austrian Ludwig Purtscheller. After reaching the summit, Meyer later wrote that they gave “three ringing cheers, and in virtue of my right as its first discoverer christened this hitherto unknown [peak] —the loftiest spot in Africa and the German Empire—Kaiser Wilhelm’s Peak.”

While she may not be the first to conquer the mountain, Fallon will be no less excited to climb Mount Kilimanjaro this year.  Read more about Fallon below.


 “I am a licensed therapist in the state of Arizona. I provide Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for people who suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and personality disorders. I am a Chicago, Illinois native and attended university in Illinois where I was a track athlete. I attended grad and medical school in the state of Arizona. 

Being an athlete throughout my life has been a major influence for me to take on many physical challenges.  Although I am from the city I have always enjoyed outdoor activities. In the last few years I have had the pleasure of experiencing outdoor activities in many different climates, most recently being on a trip to Peru assisting families who reside in the Andes. This experience gave me a first-hand experience of how a little bit of help goes a long way.


My connection to Outward Bound is completely new as Patrick Daniel introduced me to the program after he completed the climb of Kilimanjaro a year ago. I am very happy to be a part of an organization that provides these types of opportunities. I am looking forward to the physical and mental challenge of climbing Mt Kilimanjaro with what looks like a great group of people.”


Please help Fallon and her fellow climbers reach their goal by making a donation to the 2013 Mt. Kilimanjaro Climb, clicking on the "Canada Helps" icon below:
https://www.canadahelps.org/dn/11057


No comments:

Post a Comment