Friday, December 13, 2013

March of Dimes at Outward Bound Canada's Urban Base Camp Week 10


We're an energetic group of lovely people who are currently in the March of Dimes L.I.F.E. Program at Outward Bound, sponsored by United Way. We're learning how to improve our independence. 

This is our last week together as a group - can you believe it? We've been together since day one and now we're coming to a close. It was fun and interesting from ice-breakers to initiatives and games... we've seen it all.

Yesterday morning it was -14 degrees outside so we warmed up inside playing fruit tai-chi and a few rounds of ''The liars Club''. That was tons of fun.  We had to guess what certain objects were plus, who was lying or who was telling the truth.

Then we started our scavenger hunt. We each had certain clues to find in the quarry. One of our clues was on the bridge and it read, "I'm surrounded by water but I'm never soaking. What am I?"  (see below for answers)


Here's some funny jokes that you can share with your friends and family:  

After you go through a fall I will take over. All life will stall or at least grow slower. What am I? 

I have lakes with no fish. I have roads with no cars. What am I? 

I drape the hills in white, I do not swallow, but I do bite. What am I? 

We had personal group questions. After the hunt we were a little chilly so we decided to head inside for lunch. After eating cookies with green icing we reviewed our riddles and clues. 


In order to learn from experiences during the program we all had a turn to do interviews about our session at Outward Bound. "I learned that I can feel one with mother nature and enjoy my time outside. It's important to do exit interviews so we can learn more about the program so we can make changes for the better." (Princess)

On Thursday we started with a couple games before playing T-ball outside. 


This time Jess wasn't the only one who got out of her chair to run the bases. Jess inspired Usman to run the bases too. "It feels good for my legs and it's good to be free!"  (Jess) Running the bases warmed Jess up - good thing too as it was pretty cold outside.


After lunch we went out in the quarry and Jess and Suhail took turns in the trail rider. Everyone made a card for Charlotte to thank her for all the great work she has done with us. 


We had a good time here at Outward Bound going on adventures. It was a blast! It was great to be here but we are also looking forward to staying warm over the holidays. Keep in touch.

Answers for riddles/jokes (bridge), (winter), (a map), (frost)

No comments:

Post a Comment