Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Speedy Gonzales

The fastest verified ascent time up Mount Kilimanjaro was by Italian Bruno Brunod in 2001. He climbed Uhuru Peak from Marangu Gate in 5 hours, 38 minutes, and 40 seconds. The fastest round-trip time was by local guide Simon Mtuy who ran up and down on December 26, 2004 in 8 hours and 27 minutes.

She may have difficulty matching times like that, but Outward Bound Canada alumna Susanne Clark. Susanne, with a deep love of the outdoors and a keen sense of adventure, will be a great asset to the team.  Read more about Susanne below.



“I have been married to Richard, the love of my life for almost 30 years. I am the mother of four beautiful adult daughters, and I'm a professional chef, with my own successful catering company.
In September 2012, I participated in a five-day, 40km Guest Expedition over Northover Ridge in Kananaskis Country, Alberta. Our group was led by Julian Norris, Laurie Skreslet, Outward Bound Director John Gulak, and three others. I had a powerful transformational experience which reminded me of the infinite healing power of our mountains. As a result of those five days in the wilderness, I knew that hiking and Outward Bound would be a part of my life for a long time.

My connection to Outward Bound began almost four years ago, when I started working as the corporate chef for Brett Wilson. His passion and support for Outward Bound go back many years and peaked my curiosity. Watching his commitment and later participating in the expedition fostered my love for OB. 


Reciprocity is very abundant in my life... I spend my days physically nourishing the Prairie Merchant team and their guests who come into my kitchen. I'm nourished in return by their love and gratitude for the delicious meals I've prepared.

When I'm outside, rain or shine, breathing fresh air, in Fish Creek Park, at my parent's cabin in the foothills, or hiking in the Rockies, being outdoors is like soothing balm for my soul, and I am nourished! The gift of nature to nurture, connect, grow, release, and, ultimately heal, deeply resonates with me. 

Participating in this upcoming fundraising expedition to Kilimanjaro is an opportunity and a challenge I cannot pass up, despite moments of crazy anxiousness and self-doubt! Giving back to Outward Bound is an honour and a privilege. It is my way of nourishing myself and the future participants in Outward Bound programs.”


Please help Susanne and her fellow climbers reach their goal by making a donation to the 2013 Mt. Kilimanjaro Climb, clicking on the "Canada Helps" icon below:

https://www.canadahelps.org/dn/11057

No comments:

Post a Comment