Friday, December 27, 2013

From the Tropics to the Arctic

In addition to an incredible climb to the summit, there is much more to Kili. Ascending the slopes offers a climber a virtual climatic world tour, from the tropics to the Arctic.  Even before you cross the national park boundary (at the 2,700m contour), the cultivated footslopes give way to lush montane forest, inhabited by elusive elephant, leopard, buffalo, the endangered Abbot’s duiker, as well as other small antelope and primates. Higher still lies the moorland zone, where a cover of giant heather is studded with otherworldly giant lobelias.  It is a truly an amazing place.

And Meghan Kirwin is going to be one of the eleven 2014 Kili climbers who will be able to enjoy this extraordinary environment.  Read more about Meghan and her journey below.



“I have a beautiful and full life as an entrepreneur, mom, wife, daughter, friend, community member.  So much to be grateful for!

I started my own HR consulting practice in 2004 through the MBA program at Laurier. My business is focused on providing HR support to fast growth companies. This keeps me busy and I love my work! I have two boys, 10 and 12 and they fill my life with joy and happiness. I am also blessed to be married to Robin, my best friend and lifelong partner, who will be doing the climb with me.


In my teens and early twenties I participated in and led a number of paddling and hiking expeditions in the US and Canada.  I saw the impact this type of experience has on developing self-reliance, leadership skills and connection to self. I am so excited that the funds we are raising will go toward Outward Bound programs that will allow a person who needs this experience to reconnect in nature. This is something that makes a positive difference. 


This trip is also to give back to me. Robin and I are taking this time together to share in an experience of a lifetime.  My goal is not to reach the top of Mount Kilimanjaro (although that would be great!): my goal is to experience every moment of this trip with deep gratitude and joy.”


Please help Meghan and her fellow climbers reach their goal by making a donation to her personal fundraising page here or make a general donation to the 2013 Mt. Kilimanjaro Climb by clicking on the "Canada Helps" icon below:
https://www.canadahelps.org/dn/11057



No comments:

Post a Comment