Monday, December 30, 2013

Hooked on Climbing

Kilimanjaro has 2.2 square kilometers of glacial ice but it is losing it quickly due to global warming. The glaciers have shrunk 82% since 1912 and 33% since 1989. The mountain may be ice-free within 20 years, which will dramatically affect local drinking water, crop irrigation, and hydroelectric power.

Having climbed many mountains in her lifetime, Martha McCallum, one of the two trip leaders has seen changes in the ice atop many mountains.  Read more about Martha and her experiences below.



 
“My Outward Bound connections started back in 1979 when I worked as an instructor at the BC mountain school in Keremeos - and I was hooked! In 1983 I climbed to my highest elevation on Pik Lenin in the Soviet Pamirs (23,406'). Since then I've worked mostly as a wildlife biologist and as an ACMG (Association of Canadian Mountain Guides)-certified hiking guide. Both have kept me busy exploring the Canadian Rockies, which continue to inspire me for work and play year-round.

For the past five years I have instructed the Outward Bound Mindfulness in the Mountains adult backpacking program based in the Rockies.  I also instruct on the OB Veterans program and had the wonderful pleasure of helping Sarah Wiley (OBC’s Executive Director) guide Kili in 2013. What I enjoy about OB programs is the great combination of spectacular natural landscapes, exhilaration and physical challenge, and also a chance to slow down and enjoy some really thoughtful campfire discussions. I am constantly honoured to spend this kind of time with participants and hear their stories, and I look forward to sharing this great African adventure once again with some amazing people.”


Please help Martha and her fellow climbers reach their goal by making a donation to the 2013 Mt. Kilimanjaro Climb, clicking on the "Canada Helps" icon below:
https://www.canadahelps.org/dn/11057

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, I'm trying to track down my Keremeos mountaineering instructor. I only ever knew her first name, Liz...I attended the 30 day course in 1974. Would you have known her?

    ReplyDelete