Friday, December 13, 2013

Top of the World

Did you know, Mount Kilimanjaro is the highest mountain in Tanzania, the highest mountain in Africa, and the highest free-standing mountain in the world at 5,895 metres or 19,341 feet above sea level? And of it’s three volcanic cones, Kibo, Mawenzi, and Shira – Kibo is the tallest of the three.

One of our amazing climbers who will be scaling these incredible heights is Brenda Daniels. Not only is Brenda an Outward Bound Canada – Women of Courage alumna herself, but she is a busy working mother of two who works for the Toronto District School Board as a Business Process Analyst.  Read more about Brenda below.


 “I attended an Outward Bound–Women of Courage program in July of 2012. This program brought together nine women who had a common history as survivors of violence. We canoed on the French River and challenged ourselves both physically and emotionally.  This was a life-changing experience for all.  I began that journey with fear and anxiety and returned feeling more like my old self; I reconnected with myself. The “solo” experience, spending 24 hours alone in the wilderness, was profound. I highly recommend this program to other women who are in the process of healing. I now feel very fortunate to have two new challenges, to summit Mt. Kilimanjaro and to raise funds for others to attend the Women of Courage program.
 

I enjoy hiking, yoga and cross-country skiing.  My interests in the outdoors led me to study Environmental Sciences. I have also studied Quality Assurance and currently work in the sustainability field for the Toronto District School Board. 

I have two daughters: Samantha is 21 years old and studying journalism and Cassandra is 19 years old and studying nursing.” 


Please help Brenda and her fellow climbers reach their goal by making a donation to her personal fundraising page here or make a general donation to the 2013 Mt. Kilimanjaro Climb by clicking on the "Canada Helps" icon below:




https://www.canadahelps.org/dn/11057

No comments:

Post a Comment