Friday, December 20, 2013

Raising the Bar for Women of Courage

2014 marks the third year that Outward Bound Canada has sent a fundraising expedition up Kilimanjaro. The last expedition started at the Machame Gate - 6000ft, on January 9th, 2013 and returned home with about $53,000 raised for Outward Bound Canada’s charitable programs for youth and adults in need.

This year, climber Bob Faulkes will be hiking Kilimanjaro to help his team-mates who fundraise their way past last year’s impressive total.  Read more about Bob below.


“In 1994, I encouraged my son, then 15 years old, to embark on a 17 day Outward Bound program in the coastal mountains of BC. He went off a boy and came back a young man, more confident, more capable, more assured. I wanted some of what he had gained and a year later, I convinced two friends to join me on an eight-day Outward Bound program.

At the age of 46, without a taut bone in my body and weighing in at over 230 pounds, I bumbled and stumbled into this first grand adventure. Little did I know that it would change the course of my life.
Over the past twenty years, I have run, cycled, swum, hiked and paddled through adventure after adventure; I trace all this insanity back to the first Outward Bound experience.


Almost twenty years later, I am delighted to join the 2014 Outward Bound Mount Kilimanjaro Fundraising Expedition, a fitting way to celebrate my 65th year.”


Please help Bob and his fellow climbers reach their goal by making a donation to the 2013 Mt. Kilimanjaro Climb, clicking on the "Canada Helps" icon below:
https://www.canadahelps.org/dn/11057

No comments:

Post a Comment