Friday, November 16, 2012

Trek to the Top


At 19,340 ft., Mt. Kilimanjaro is the world’s tallest freestanding mountain.  On January 9th, a team of seven climbers and two Outward Bound instructors will embark on a seven day, 55 kilometre trek to the top. They’re climbing to raise money for Outward Bound Canada’s Core Funded Programs for women survivors of violence, veterans, Aboriginal youth and inner city youth.  The team's goal is to raise $50,000 so that more individuals representing these populations can experience Outward Bound.


To highlight these courageous individuals, we thought we would profile a member of the group each week.  So be sure to check in every Thursday between now and the climb date to learn more about these incredible people.

Meet Rob Rainer. Twenty two years ago, he took an Outward Bound course that changed him. Below, he tells us a little bit about his experience, and how it brought him to where he is today: about to embark on a journey up Kilimanjaro as one of the seven climbers.



“In 1980 I took a three-week Outward Bound winter mountaineering course in the North Cascade mountains of southern British Columbia.  At that time it was by far the hardest physical and mental experience of my 20-year old life.  Sometime into the first week, I wanted and was determined to quit.  However, encouraged by my course mates and inspired by our instructor, Barb Clemes, I found an inner strength I hadn't known before.


“I completed the course and ever since have drawn on the lessons I learned from Outward Bound concerning perseverance, compassion, teamwork and more.  Outward Bound thus remains the most formative learning experience of my life.  And now through this Kilimanjaro fundraising expedition, I have the opportunity to give back to this great program!



“Following my OB course, I embraced outdoor recreation and education in a significant way including working for both OB schools in Canada at the time, for short stints in 1984 and 1986.  My extensive time in outdoor and wilderness settings led to a passionate interest and concern in the environment, and by 1987 I was working in the field of environmental conservation.  Since 1993 I have held senior leadership positions with a number of environmental and social justice groups, and gained experience at the community, regional, national and international levels.  I owe so much of my career and growth trajectory to Outward Bound.



“I have two grown daughters, Robin and Alison.  Robin is also an OB graduate having taken courses in 2004 in Ontario and in 2011 in Alberta.  Indeed, it was on Robin's 2011 mountain instructor's course in Canmore that she met her now fiancée, fellow student Ryan Downey.  They are to be married in Canmore in May 2013, at the Alpine Club of Canada lodge where they first met!”

Please help Rob and his fellow climbers reach their goal by making a donation to the 2013 Mt. Kilimanjaro Climb and clicking on the "Canada Helps" icon below:


Link not working?  You can also click here to donate.

You can make a general donation to the climb or dedicate it specifically to one of the climbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment